Tape compression fiasco

Hi,

I am trying to understand why I can not get more than 4.4GB
on my DDS-2 CTD8000r-S 4/8GB tape (Seagate/IBM), even though using compression-on. I am using the following Debian commands on my Alpha-Jensen:

mt -f /dev/tape datcompression 1
tar -cvvf /dev/tape /

Companies say that if you have compressed files they won't be compressed again. This is obvious, but what about the tape density.
As far as I know, compression would mean high density on tape.
It seems that the limit of 8GB stated by companies is a fiasco !
Has anyone backup more than 4GB of data on DDS-2 tapes successfully ?

thanks
Luiz Emediato