Re: Build a kernel - break a machine

Well, I though it could be the SCSI drivers too, I am running a Tekram DC-390U SCSI controller. I selected (what I thought was) the appropriate driver (Symbios 53C875) when doing the config.

I have a feeling that the dpkg -i failed ... my fault.

The box had been upgraded and downgraded a couple times, so I think I'll do a fresh install (fast connection at work:) since it is my "test" box.

Cheers,
Rob

At 00:21 29/05/2001, you wrote:
Nope, it should (and does on my LX) work just from everywhere. It
takes care of /etc/aboot.conf as well. What excatly happend when you
used dpkg ?

> What ended up happening was I copied the kernel to the /boot directory and did:
>
>          >ln -s /boot/<kernel package name> /
>
> I then modified /etc/aboot.conf to boot the new kernel.
Why that ? You can enter any location you like into /etc/aboot.conf.

> The machine now throws an error similar to:
>
>          panic: Unable to mount root filesystem

This sound rather to a build problem. Did you include ext2, and your
appropriate hardware (ide, scsi) ?

Regards

      Helge

--