Re: Compaq C-compiler quick install quide

Hello Thomas, and thank you for the install guide.  Here are a few comments:

"T. Weyergraf" wrote:

> Here is a step-by-step list of the files/packages/libs/progs, which
> are needed by the Compaq Toolchain. They are presented in the order
> in which the compaq-packages will be installed:
>
> libots:
>        ld-linux.so.2 is needed by libots-2.2.7-2
>        libc.so.6.1 is needed by libots-2.2.7-2
>
> cpml:
>        /bin/sh   is needed by cpml_ev6-5.1.0-2

The cpml installer does not depend on bash (which provides /bin/sh on Debian), should it?  I don't see why...

> ccc:
>        man is needed by ccc-6.2.9.506-1
>        /bin/sh   is needed by ccc-6.2.9.506-1
>
> And of course the Debian RPM packages:
>        librpm1 3.0.3-1
>        rpm     3.0.3-1
> as well as the gcc compiler:
>        gcc     2.95.2-13

Ah, so these are potato directions. :-)  The cpml/cxml installers should work on potato, but the ccc installer will depend on gcc-2.95 in woody/sid because of the libgcc.a location (otherwise it will break on upgrade of gcc), and none of them depend on rpm (they include a small perl rpm2cpio in postinst, like the realplayer installer package they're based on).

> 2. Install the proper ( EV5 or EV6 ) version of the cpml-rpm.
>    I'll use cpml for EV6, which is cpml_ev6-5.1.0-2.alpha.rpm
>
>    rpm -i --nodeps ./cpml_ev6-5.1.0-2.alpha.rpm
>
>    Now run the following commands manually:
>
>    cd /usr/lib/compaq/cpml-5.1.0
>    rm -f /usr/lib/compaq/cpml-5.1.0/libcpml_ev6.so
>
>    Note, the following is *one* commandline:
>
>    ld -shared -o libcpml_ev6.so -soname libcpml.so -whole-archive \
> libcpml_ev6.a -no-whole-archive -lots

Question: I have it in the installer now, but why is -lots there?  Does ld provide inter-library dependencies, or is it just ignored?  I thought that's part of why libtool exists.

And it's not even clear cpml should depend on libots at all...

>    And now the last two
>
>    strip libcpml_ev6.so
>    /sbin/ldconfig

Okay, the cpml installer does all of this.

> 4. Now Install the ccc compiler package:
>
>    rpm -i --nodeps ccc-6.2.9.506-1.alpha.rpm
>
>    The install process should emit the following message:
>
>    Using /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.2 (3).

Does it just run create-comp-config.sh to do this, or is there more to the rpm's "postinst" script?  Anyone know how I can extract such scripts from a binary rpm?

Thanks again,

-Adam P.

                                                                                                                                                                w½w½w½w½w½w½w½w½s½w¾wÝwÞw½w½w¾wWelcome to the best software in the world today cafe!