RE: Driver disk series

Donald,

>I can't explain what is going on, but perhaps I can offer an
>alternative.  I have done about 4-5 installs of Debian
>"potato" for the Alpha using ftp.  I have a quite nice Cable
>Modem connection, and everything goes quite smoothly.  If I
>recall correctly, just before you get to this point you have
>a question about how you want to install the "base system",
>which includes the drivers.  One of the options is to
>install this via ftp, and that is what I used.  If you
>choose this option, then it will immediately jump to
>configuring your network and selects the closest mirror then
>starts the d/l.  This only works, I assume, if your ethernet
>card is already detected as mine was.  Using this method, I
>did NOT have to d/l and use the "driver" disks and the
>appropriate file(s) was selected for me.  It looks like this
>would be a viable alternative, even over a slow link for
>installing the "base" system plus driver modules.  After
>this is done, you will re-boot and continue the installation
>and you again have a selection point on the method to
>install the rest of the packages.  Just a thought....the ftp
>method is really nice if you have a good link.  Much faster
>than d/l and burning an iso file on a CDROM!

I know of this method, and it will probably be the one I
end up using if I can't fix the driver disk.

I have tried this in the past, but with less than perfect
results. I keep loosing the ftp connection. I've also
tried it by transfering over http, but with the same result.

I think these problems are related to my router...
Maybe I'll have another go at it if the disks don't
work out.

Thanks for the hint.

- IT