current postgres/how stable unstable

Hello !
I am new to debian (though on alpha for a while) and running Debian
potato. Since postgres 6.5 has no foreign keys (and 7.x has) and
also the notes in postgres recommend to upgrade to 7.x I got the debs
from unstable but unfortunately they require a newer glibc.

Question:
Is there a way to just upgrade postgres or do I have to go completely
to unstable ? (On an redhat system I would grab the *srpm and try a
rpm --rebuild. Is there something simmilar in debian ? Pointers to
package building in debian very welcome).

While the first question is a little OT I know the second aint:
How "unstable" is unstable currently on alpha ?

Regards

      Helge
--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.                      kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de