Re: Why wouldn't gcc release build on Alpha ?

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:

> Thanks for the tip from Jean-Paul, I finally managed to get
> rid of perl5.6 errors - "apt-get -f install perl-5.6-*" did it for me.
> [Thinking about it, perhaps I need to subscribe to some other
> Debian lists, not only alpha, to stay tuned with such kind of
> questions.]

The best list to be on for that is debian-devel.  There's a lot of
noise on that list, but it can be VERY informative.

> I: Unpacking glibc-2.2.1.tar.bz2 as glibc-2.2.1 in temp-unpack/.
> prep.sh: bzcat: command not found

Ok, here's what I do for all builds:
 apt-get source <package>
rather than using the '-b' option.  This unpacks the sources, but does not
build.  Then, I go into the unpacked dir and look at debian/control (or in
this case, debian/control.in, since the control file is generated at build
time).  In there, you'll see a line that begins with:
 Build-Depends:
Which will list everything you need to build the package (or should...in
the case of glibc, it will...I can vouch for that personally).

A large number of packages use the Build-Depends lines now to help the
autobuilders know what to install in order to build the packages.  These
lines also help me, since I'm the normal "semi-autobuilder" for Alpha :-P

In short, though...here's the list of things you'll need:

Build-Depends: gettext, gcc (>= 2.95.2-15), make (>= 3.78-4),
dpkg-dev (>= 1.4.1.5), debianutils (>= 1.13.1), tar (>= 1.13.11), bzip2,
texinfo (>= 4.0), kernel-headers [!hurd-i386], mig [hurd-i386],
hurd-dev [hurd-i386], gnumach-dev [hurd-i386]
Build-Depends-Indep: perl5

Oh, one other thing, if you see something like:
	kernel-headers [!hurd-i386]
It basically means that whatever platform(s) is/are in the brackets either
need or don't need the listed package.  Since the above example has "!" in
front of hurd-i386, it just means that hurd-i386 doesn't need that
package.  If there were no "!", then it would need it only on the listed
platform(s):
	mig [hurd-i386]
Means only hurd-i386 needs 'mig' installed.

You may run into problems building glibc involving the kernel headers.  If
you do, please write me directly and I'll tell you what to modify or add
to get you through that (FYI, I build all glibc's for Debian-Alpha and
have for years now).