help needed to boot 2.4.1 kernel on SRM-based system

that has been posted to comp.os.linux.alpha as well.

Help colleagues!

I have just compiled the 2.4.1 kernel for my Alpha machine and tried
to boot using it.  Using the SRM firmware, the system failed to boot.
I used the normal "make dep;make clean;make boot" after a clean
configuration upgrade (make oldconfig and make menuconfig to double
check things).  The kernel size seem unusual at 1295574 bytes whereas
my old 2.2.18 kernel has a size of 977541.  The aboot output shows
that it finds the kernel, and uncompresses it successfully.  I just
get a hard halt as soon as it tries to boot from it.   I then get the
SRM prompt back.

I am running Debian 2.2 with no unstable/testing extensions that I
know of.

I am lost on this one.  Any help appreciated...

Some output from the 2.2.18 operating kernel

fea6::/proc/: cat cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV56
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : EB164
system variation        : PC164
system revision         : 0
system serial number    :
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 500000000
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 497.02
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string         : Digital AlphaPC 164 500 MHz
cpus detected           : 1