Re: Xserver hangs with DECchip 21030 and xterm on huge

Thomas Reifferscheid <reiffer@kph.uni-mainz.de> writes:

> Marco:
>
> this sounds *very* strange for me.
>
> So you say:
>
> when user root or admin (1st user that was created)
> start the X-Server: no problems occur.
> And when a user starts the X-Server and resizes
> xterm, then it hangs ? Hm.
>
> What about starting the X-Server as user root,
> logging as user via xdm ?
>
> Thomas

Yes, I was wrong.  The user account which starts the X
session makes no difference.  All problems are in the fonts
used (in particular with font "10x20").  On my host, normal
users have a different '~/.Xresource' that users `root' and
`admin' so why they have a different behavior.

Moreover, xfs for alpha dies without any error message.
I've tried it on AlphaSserve 400 and AlphaServe DS10.  With
a font server on a Debian-i386 machine everything works fine.

Thank you very much for the hints!

Marco