boot problems

I've finally got the installer to recognize the nics, and everything seemed
to work until the reboot.  I told the installer to make debian boot from the
hard disk, and now when I boot I get to an aboot> prompt.  If I type in 'l'
I get:

0:2/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda2

So I type 0 and press enter, and I get vmlinuz: file not found.  So I type d
and see that there is, in fact, a file named vmlinuz, but no boot.  Next I
type p 1 to look in the first partition for configuration/kernel.  Then I
type d and see that the kernel is named vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21-generic.  Ok, so
I try:

aboot> boot vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21-generic ro root=/dev/sda2

Things look ok until right after the partition check the last couple of
lines on the screen say:

VFS: Cannot open root device 00:de
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:de

  I can boot fine if I use the boot disk I created during install (>>> boot
dva0 from srm).  When partitioning my hard disk, I started the fist
partition at the second cylinder as recommended in the installation docs.
Is there something else that I missed?

Thanks,
Jason
---