Re: Slllloooowwww Alpha

> > I just installed debian on an Alpha Personal Workstation 500a (not u)
> > using the SRM console. And Every seems to be really slow.  The windows
> > in kde, gnome, or anywhere seem to take 4 or 5 seconds to completly
> > refresh... Would I get any performance benefit out of compiling my own kernel
> > and recompiling X from Source for this specific platform?
> >
> > Throw anything you have at me.. Im not a newbie to linux or anything :-)
>
> You may get some benefit from a custom kernel.  As far as X goes, though,
> it's pretty pokey in general on 64-bit platforms (I've got two of
> them)...especially KDE and GNOME.

Yup. 64-bit support has REALLY become better in XFree 4.1 - When I had
3.3.6, I had at least one crash a day, and it was considerably slower. I
now use XFree 4.1 (on Sid), and it works MUCH better. Still, ocassionally
I get an X freeze, and it still feels slower than on a regular PC... But
not like before.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118