Re: Slllloooowwww Alpha

Toby Thain wrote:

> > Andrew Forgue wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just installed debian on an Alpha Personal Workstation 500a (not u)
> > using the SRM console. And Every seems to be really slow.  The windows
> > in kde, gnome, or anywhere seem to take 4 or 5 seconds to completly
> > refresh... Would I get any performance benefit out of compiling my own
> > kernel
> > and recompiling X from Source for this specific platform?
>
> Hi Andrew
>
> Having enough RAM is key - on Alpha that seems to mean >>128MB. Kernel
> 2.4.14 also did a lot to improve responsiveness and KDE GUI on my
> Alphaserver 1000A 5/300 (RH7.1, 128MB). XFree86 4.1 seems to be quicker
> than the default install, on my Tseng ET-6000 card.
>
> regards
> Toby

I'll second that!  I recently upgraded from 64 Megs to 256 Megs of
memory and the improvement was quite dramatic!  I have never seen such
an improvement with a memory upgrade before on other computers.  It went
from being almost un-usable with KDE to being quite decent!  BTW, I was
getting a LOT of Hard Disk access with the lower memory and KDE.
Mozilla just wouldn't start from within KDE (I quit waiting after 2-3
minutes).  Surprisingly, GNOME ran somwhat acceptably with only 64 Megs.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-