Re: v2.4.14 kernel on Alpha: sound is not working

> On Nov 21, James D. Freels illuminated :

> I have an Alpha machine with a Digital "Alphastation" sound card.
> On prior v2.2.x kernels, the Microsoft Sound System (MSS) sound
> card option was sufficient to enable sound.  However, the identical
> sound configuration in the kernel does not seem to work for v2.4.x.

read the changelogs, specifically the ones concerning sound stuffs in
/proc and /dev.

or to be more explicit, /dev/sndstat and /proc/sound have been removed
in the 2.4 kernels.

i have an alphastation 255/233 and ...

cat /proc/ioports reveals:
0530-0533 : WSS config
0534-0537 : MS Sound System

/proc/interupts disturbs from under a rock:
  9:          1          XT-PIC   MS Sound System

and mpg123 every_os_sucks.mp3 :

 High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
 Version 0.59q (1999/Jan/26). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
 Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
 THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
 Title  :                 Every OS sucks  Artist: Three Dead Trolls in a
 Baggie
 Album  :                                 Year: 2001
 Comment:                http://mp3.com/  Genre: Unknown

 Playing MPEG stream from every_os_sucks.mp3 ...
 MPEG 1.0 layer III, 64 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo

I guess sound works.
kernel config:
OSS sound modules
MSS sound system == module
mpu401 == module

--
Jean-Paul Blaquière             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy