Re: strange problem with LX

* Luke Shulenburger (sluke@bartender.mit.edu) wrote:
> The scrolling rate is about 1 line per second.  /proc/interrupts showed
> the network card (DE500-BA) as having over 144 million interrupts.  So, I
> shut down the interface and removed the kernel module. voila, vmstat is
> now reporting on the order of 1050 interrupts per second.  So, just to see
> what would happen, I reloaded the kernel module and fired back up the
> interface.  Result: the computer is working perfectly now.  Thank you very
> much.  Now I have this question: every time I reboot this happens, is
> there something to look for that might be causing problems with the
> ethernet kernel module?  Or is this likely not a kernel problem at all?
> (hardware?)

Whether it is a kernel or a hardware problem is difficult to tell; I'd do
an   ifconfig -a   to see if there is any data actually being shifted; if there
is then perhaps your machine is squirting oodles of junk onto the network for
some odd reason; tcpdump should help see what is going on.

Failing that I suggest you see if you can get a newer version of the driver
for the card.

Dave
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM, SPARC and HP-PA | In Hex /