woody install problem on alphastation 200 (srm, nfsroot)

I'm trying to install woody on an as200 with 276MB ram
using the 3.0.13-2001-09-03 root.tar.gz
The tftpboot.img doesn't work (dies aftar PALcode message).

I have made minor modification to the 2.4.9 kernel source to make it boot.
I touched the srm_console_wait_key in an attempt to use srm as console
but after having removed unregister_srm_console(); in irq_alpha.c
console=ttyS0 started to work (some messages repeated during boot).
Booting from srm with boot ewa0 -flags "srmcons ip=on root=/dev/nfsroot"
is working.

dbootstrap starts but mounting the new root filesystem (/target ) takes
several minutes. The mount request is authenticated at the server
instantaneously.

The samething happens with mount-2.11g. But mounting nfs filesystems from the
same server on the same machine running netbsd works without any problems.
The server is an dual PII runing a patched 2.4.9 kernel.

Kernel and drivers.tgz installs fine. Base install fails with lock
problem or something about /var/cache/debconf/arch. It did
extract packages once but didn't manage to run base-config
(debconf had problem with Dialog, slang and text).

I've applied linux-2.4.9-NFS_ALL.dif (don't remember url).

Are there known problems with nfs on alpha ?
Is it possible to make a "cross" install?

/Andreas Håkansson