Re: Library reduction on Alpha (was: Re: Alpha: aboot rescue disk)

Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> "Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On 7 Aug 2001, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, it acually doesn't seem to make any difference. With mklibs.sh:
> >
> > What exactly does this script do to libc (or really, what isn't it
> > doing now)?  There are some binutils issues that I'm working on that
> > may be related...
>
> The only difference between the two scripts is how the set of symbols
> to be incuded is determined. mklibs.py simply adds missing symbols
> iteratively until everything is satisfied. mklibs.sh does something
> different (I just realized that it doesn't do what I thought it
> did... unfortunately there's no real documentation... Hm, I'm afraid
> somebody else will have to tell you how it works :) You can find both
> scripts in the boot-floppies CVS, in scripts/rootdisk.

A short add on to mklibs.sh.

As I see it it looks for symbols that are in two files, i.e. ash and
libm, and includes all matches. It thinks that all symbols that match
names will be needed in the library.

Unfortunatly that will keep any and all symbols with all duplicates in
the library, so instead of using libc's math funktions it keeps libcs
_and_ libms.

mklibs.py on the other hand includes each symbol only once. Theres a
small hack to prefer libc symbols (althout not realy needed since libm
seems to be after libc) but otherwise its a first come first use basis.

MfG
        Goswin