Re: kde 2.2 on alpha

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> guess what...it builds & works now.  Happy...uhh...4th of July..yea..that's
> close enough.

FYI, Ivan and I have been beating on Qt/KDE with both gcc 2.95.x and gcc
3.0 (snapshots and release) for awhile now (I'm talking over six
months straight now).  He got Konqueror running very well tonight using a
gcc3-compiled KDE, which is a major victory, IMO, and a good test of the
new changes to g++.  The sources for KDE needed a bit of tweaking to
support the namespace changes in gcc 3.0, so don't try this at home yet
:-P

We're trying to come up with a way to have autobuilders deal with building
the KDE packages now, so it shouldn't be long before we get alpha KDE debs
in unstable :-) (fingers, toes, and eyelashes crossed)

On a slightly related note, I'm in the process of testing FreeType2 (which
KDE relies on IIRC) and it works on alpha as well (FINALLY!  FreeType1
still segfaults due to type size issues and it's because of those problems
that most freetype-linked alpha debs have segfault
problems...*cough*libgd-perl*cough*).