Re: Why halt does reboot?

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:47:50PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> Just installed 2.2r2 on a Alphastation 500.
> This is a trial for a successive installation of a beowulf cluster.
> The problem is: halt instruction does reboot the machine instead of
> stopping it. Boot is done by aboot and SRM is the eprom monitor.
> Kernel is 2.2.18pre17.

I've got the opposite problem, a reboot halts.
I think that is worse.
Your problem is either in userland or the kernel.

My alpha halts in the SRM and then it's power cycle time :< not even
commands on the serial port work. It does say I can press some key
(break key iirc) but I don't have one of those.

It's a PC164SX, makes recomiliing kernel fun as the machine is not near
me.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>