Re: Kernel 2.2.19 crashes, 2.4.4 bad performance

On Mon, 14 May 2001, George France wrote:

> > Platform: Dual 667 UP2000, 1.5gig ram, 3 adaptecs with 5 disks total,
> > serial console.

All SCSI disks or are you mixing IDE into it?

> > Kernel 2.4.4 seems to suffer a *tremendous* performance impact, compared to
> > 2.2.19. A 'time make -j4 boot' of the kernel-2.4.4 sources gives the
> > following compile-times:
> >
> >         2.4.4         2.2.19
> > real   3m58        2m38
> > user  4m23        2m23
> > sys    0m14       0m11
> >
> > Several other tests seem to indicate a similar decrease in performance wrt
> > real-time, some of them being CPU and/or memory-bound only.

The VM has been reworked quite a bit.  Did you hit swap during any of your
tests?  Also, is this EV6 or EV67?

> > In addition to that, i've noticed, that kernel 2.2.19 frequently crashes,
> > after giving the well-known "stuck spinlock" messages in rather random
> > processes. No panics are given, the system just freezes completely ( no
> > ping and the like ).

Take out the RTC and see if that helps. I've had problems with it on my
UP2k here and there.  I don't think that it is a good solution,
personally, but if it works...

> > 1. Has anybody ever observed the performance impact, i'm seeing with kernel
> > 2.4.x ? 2. Since i moved to kernel 2.4.x very early for various reasons, I
> > would like to know, which of the recent 2.2.x kernels can be considered
> > stable on a alpha/SMP platform ( ideally being a UP2000 as well ).
> >
> > I'm a bit confused here ;-)

What other cards do you have in the system?  Oh, also, bear in mind that
the Adaptec driver has changed in 2.4.x, IIRC, so that may explain things
by itself :-)