Recent Alpha owner, initial contact

Hello all,

This is an introduction of some kind, feel free to ignore :)

I recently (2 days) bought an AlphaServer 400 4/233, with all the
manuals (and even a Windows NT boxed set, arrgh); I'm very new to the
Alpha world (I work some times with Tru64 Unix at work on a brand new
Compaq Alpha, but that doesn't give me any clue about the underlying
hardware and Debian install). The box came with no memory and no RAM,
and with a NumberNine card (although it came with a '9FX Vision 330
PCI' manual... anyway, the chip is a S3 Trio64) and a EtherWorks NIC
(and a floppy).

I have already ordered some 64MB of '72 contacts, 70ns FPS parity
RAM', hope it will work... the EDO RAM of my Pentium doesn't work (I
tried, just in case it worked even if badly, I just wanted to see the
SRM :), but the LED's give me a strange error code and no image). I
also have two HP (actually Quantum Fireball ST) SCSI disks; they have
jumpers, I hope they work with the SCSI 2 interface... My contect with
SCSI devices is limited also (Alpha-wise, at least).

Ah, and I also have a SCSI Fujitsu MO backup device, maybe I can use
it.

This machine has both ARC and SRM.

My generall plan is to try to make the disks (2.5 and 3.5 Gb) work
(after I have the RAM) and then proceed with the Debian install
(probably by floppy... I have a LAN at home, maybe I could do some
kind of net install by NFS... any ideas on what would be
easier/quicker/better very welcome).

Anyway, I'm bound to be filling the lists with some newbie questions;
I always read the docs befroehand, but some things always get by.

Best Regards

--
Frederico S. Mu?oz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org	Debian	http://www.debian.org