gnome embedded panels

Has anyone had any problems with programs that use embedded panels? When I
run sawfish-ui, gnomecc or balsa (there are others) the embedded panel does
not display properly, it does not seem to get the width correct. When I change
the vertical size the embedded panel changes size also (if I make the vertical
size smaller the horizontal size gets bigger).

I assume that the problem is in a shared library as it happens accross multiple
applications. Does anyone know a) which library it might be and b) if it has
been fixed.

thanks

rgh