Réf. : Re: problems w/ Java on Alpha

Hi,
I've done the same thing last week I remember two caveats:

alien to deb gave me warnings so I prefered to use rpm -> tgz to play it safe
Had to rebuild a .so of size 0 be hand with a script line

Last part was explained in a FAQ or trouble-shooting page on Compaq. (found with google)

I did not check extensively, but I could compile and run a HelloWorld (easy :-) ) but also run NetBeans (much more impressive !)

The solution ( going to tgz) is not very good as dpkg is not aware that I have j2sdk1.3 :-(

Hope this helps...

Bernard

gustafe@home.se on 20/03/2001 16:52:00
Pour :	bartw@xs4all.nl@hub
cc :	gustafe@home.se@hub, debian-alpha@lists.debian.org@hub (ccc : Bernard HUGUENEY/IMA/DER/EDFGDF/FR)
Objet :	Re: problems w/ Java on Alpha

Bart Warmerdam <bartw@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 02:46:11PM +0100, Gustaf Erikson wrote:
[snip]

> You need to download the cmpl (math lib) as well from Compaq and deb
> them as well. Use the 'with script' option in alien (-g afaik) to
> generate postinst as well. They create the actual .a file for the
> libs.

The file you download from Compaq contains the files

 cpml_ev5-5.1.0-2.alpha.rpm
 jdk-1.3.1-beta-linux-alpha.rpm
 libots-2.2.7-2.alpha.rpm

I've debbed them all.  In a mail, Per Wigren told me that due to a bug
in aliens rpm2cpio, the relevant .so file is of size 0. He recommended
me to run rpm "raw", but the idiotic program won't accept "--force" to
ignore things like "/bin/sh" missing. At least that's what I found out
in a cursory check. More tomorrow.

/g., serendipitous bricktexter.

--
Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]