Re: Tap tap tap, this thing on?

In <[🔎] 3A7120ED.2DD3AC4@onlinehome.de>, on 26/Jan/2001
   at 08:02 AM,(+0100 GMT)
Stefan Schroepfer <whoknows@onlinehome.de> said:

>Bob Ogden schrieb:
>>
>> so when I do boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk it should work?
>> Trouble is that it doesen't here!  boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0
>> load_ramdisk=1 dies with  You didn't specify the type of your ufs file
>> system
>> mount -t ufs -o
>> ufstype=sun|sunx86|44bsd|old|nextstep|nextstep-cd|opensep...
>> ufstype=old  ufs_read_super: bad magic number
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

>boot fd0:/linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
>should allow you to boot via floppies, note the "=1" at the end of the
>line (at least it worked for me with potato r0 on a ARC based machine
>(PC164).

Oops, sorry, yes I _have_ been using load_ramdisk=1 it just fell off in
the post.

>How did you create your root (or ramdisk) floppy? Using dd?

dd on 3 different boxes, rawwrite on another 2 different boxes all in all
I have ~20 floppys with a root.bin image. I'm about ready to rip the
floppy from the alpha box, jam it into an intel box and see if writing the
root.bin on the same drive as reads it makes any difference at all :(.

>> boot hdb:linux root=/dev/hdb load_ramdisk=1dies with

See told you I was using load_ramdisk=1 :).

>Booting from CD doesn t work on ARC based machines.   :-(

Well I can get milo to start from the CD (lots faster than from floppy)
but yes, everything I've tried to get it much further than that has failed
so I guess I'll give that up as a bad idea.

>Good luck,
>Stefan Schroepfer

Thanks for the info.

--
/-- Bob Ogden  bob@contact.omen.com.au --------------/

Only 31554670883 seconds till the _next_ millennium!