Alpha and Debian

I have an Alpha 164SX, every time I try to install ANY Linux I get the error
hda2:<> lost interrupt or something similar, I know it has the lost
interrupt part
I want to know if this is something wrong with the new kernel because I have
installed BSD with out any trouble.

I have attempted to install Mandrake 7.0, the latest Debain and Turbo
I installed Redhat 5.2 on this machine about 3 years ago but I was put away
in storage. the hd had be removed by me earlier

SYSTEM CONFIG:
Alpha 533 21164 (on board IDE)
128 Megs PC 100 mem
20G drive (IDE)
48X cd rom (IDE)
Matrox Mystique 4Meg
apparently USB is on the board, just headers are not provided.