Re: broken tape in TZ87?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Amy (amy@aloha.nascom.nasa.gov) wrote:
>
> > Most likely you can just push the little lever down and remove the tape.
> > It sounds like your tape leader (on the tape drive side) has come unattached.
> > If your tape isn't tangled inside you should be able to pull the tape out
> > easily.
>
> Ok, thanks. I got the tape out now, but the lights are still flashing. I
> tried power cyclingit, but no diff.

When you look in the drive, can you see the tape leader?  There's
a little prong it should be hooked onto.  If not, the tape leader
has slipped off and wound inside the drive.  In that case you can
either send it in for service, or take it apart and reattach the
tape leader yourself.  I do the latter as it's faster by weeks.

You can modify the directions at http://www.sprague-europe.com/frame/tape.htm
They're for putting in a whole new tape leader.  Reattaching an existing tape
leader is similar.  If you have new tape leaders on hand I'd recommend
putting in a new one - once they start slipping, it happens again
and again.  IME.

-amy

--
Amy Skowronek                                   Solar Data Analysis Center
amy@aloha.nascom.nasa.gov                 NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center