Re: What is Debian GNU/Linux like on an Alpha?

Luke Seubert wrote:
> Good day all,
> I am presently running Debian on my Celeron home computer, but would
> like to experiment with a 21164 based Alpha workstation.  Any advice
> from the Debian Alpha community would be much appreciated.

> Desktop practicality: Since this would be a home computer, the Debian
> Alpha system would mostly be used for web browsing, email, word
> processing, playing CDs, etc.  No game playing though.  While I know
> that Alphas are superb scientific and engineering workstations, how well
> do they manage in this sort of home user role?

I have an Alpha 21164LX at home for home use. I purchased it two years
ago and have 64Meg RAM and a 8G HD and run Enlightenment window manager.
It goes like the clappers!
For web browsing I ran the Netscape Intel binary for a long while with
the DEC intel binary emulation software (not open source but it is free
in $ terms), for word processing you can't go past LaTeX, and for music
there are many audio players for CDs and MP3s.

An Alpha at home for home use has street cred :-)

Best wishes,
Mike
Michael Lake
Active caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.
Safety Convenor, Australian Speleological Federation
Owner, Speleonics (Australia)