Re: What is Debian GNU/Linux like on an Alpha?

Ron Farrer wrote:

> > Compiling:  My understanding is that the compiler released by Digital
> > for use with Linux does a much better job of compiling than the standard
> > GCC compiler - resulting in much faster code.  Are the binaries compiled
> > for the Debian Alpha distribution made using the Digital compiler, or GCC?
>
> CCC (Compaq C Compiler) does do a better job at most things vs
> GCC. Packages are made using GCC. CCC is non-free (but still very cool).

I noted the restrictions on CCC making it a non-free compiler.  Any
chance that Compaq may free the compiler someday?  It seems to me that
such a move could only help sell more Alpha hardware.

> I use mine for this daily, I couldn't imagine doing it on another
> platform... Although for Netscape (pre6.0 stuff) you have to use the
> Tru64 UNIX bins + libs. Which is non-free, but works great! (see my
> old, old, old articles on alphalinux.org)

Thanks.  Saint Mozilla 1.0, please come soon and save us!

--

Luke Seubert

"Government is the only business uniquely authorized the use of deadly
force to sell it's product."