Re: mozilla on alpha

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Peter Maydell wrote:

> [Why do you think this might be a bash problem?]

I never discount bash as being a source of problems :-)  Seriously,
though, bash is a suspect since I can run the commands by hand and not get
a segfault, but running the postinst script does segfault (making it
exceedingly hard to debug).

> Well, I tried to do this. However, the gdb in potato (4.18.19990928-1)
> doesn't seem to work properly for threaded programs :-<
> If you take a simple thread-using program (eg, the example code in bug
> 74525) and run it under gdb, you immediately get:

Ugh, forgot about that.

> Any ideas here? If I take the plunge and upgrade to unstable in the
> hopes that a newer gdb will fix this, am I likely to run into any
> nasty libc breakage or similar?
> (I'd really rather stay with potato or potato-plus-a-few-things
> if possible, and IME upgrades to unstable always seem to require
> upgrading most of the critical system components :-<)

Stick with potato, but fetch and build the gdb 5.0 source from woody.  It
should still work on your system and shouldn't screw up any dependencies
if you build it on a potato system.  I've used gdb to debug threaded apps
in woody, so it should work.