Re: mp3

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, George A. Dowding wrote:

> Thanks again for patching those programs.

No prob...that's what I'm here for :-)

> mpg123 is working, but xmms stopped working.  I was getting a dialogue
> box with the title: "Couldn't open audio"
>
> Please check that:
> 1. You have the correct output plugin selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard [sic]
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Upon inspection, the output plugin was set to OSS instead of esound.
> I'm not sure how that got changed.  Changing it to esound fixed it.

Hmmm...odd.  I use esound also for testing things.  Think I'll try to use
OSS later on to see what's going on with that.  FYI, once I finish getting
the new XFree compiled and uploaded, I won't be able to run X on my Alpha
for awhile (my vid card isn't supported anymore).  Luckily, I have an Indy
running IRIX still for remote X testing, but GNOME apps have a tendency
not to work well remotely.

> Next problem: I can't play Audio CD's.  When I stick in a CD with, say
> grip, it will scan and not find a disk.  gtcd will scan and let me
> play the first track, but that is it.
>
> I get these errors in /var/log/messages
>
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel:   Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel:   Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel:   The failed "Play Audio MSF" packet command was:
> Nov  4 19:37:31 ayes kernel:   "47 00 00 02 14 05 02 14 00 00 00 00 "

Hmmm...what kernel is this?  There have been some issues lately with
playback of audio CDs and DVDs on Intel as well (all kernel related...the
reads are seeking past the end of the discs).  I'll give this a try
also.  I think I still have an audio CD or two that my wife hasn't taken
to work with her :-P