Re: Just filed some bugs :-)

On Tue 25 Jul 2000, Alan P. Kennedy, Sr wrote:

> When I start xmms I get the following errors:
>
> libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> libmikmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> libxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Is this because of missing dependencies?

No. xmms explicitly supports optional stuff. It tries to access those,
but if it fails, the features that need them are simply disabled.
Very nice actually. E.g. if you don't have a 3D card, don't bother
installing the libGL.so.1 thing, because the performance of the
3D bar graph thingy will suck and you end up frustrated :-)

So, these should not be "depends"; they are currently "recommends",
which I feel too strong even ("suggests" might have been better).

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/