Re: XFree86 question

> On May 28, Jay Estabrook scratched in indelible ink :

> Yes, AS255 has been around, but just in case, this might fix the "iopl"
> problem:
> 	ln -s Avanti /etc/alpha_systype

I tried this after seeing the previous post.  Had nil effect :(
I shall try reinstalling libc6{,dev} and see if that has any effect.
the drive with /usr on it has been playing up a little recently, requiring
fscks too often, so it may be dropping sectors and thus losing this sort of
info.

> BTW, what does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" have to say about the system type
> and variation?

beowulf[1]~> cat /proc/cpuinfo                                            12:34
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV45
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : Avanti
system variation        : 0
system revision         : 0
system serial number    :
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 232018561
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 34
max. addr. space #      : 63
BogoMIPS                : 228.06
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 26 (pc=120015aa8,va=12011fe9c)
platform string         : AlphaStation 255/233
cpus detected           : 1

/Jp.
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere		||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au 	||   Thaumaturgy