Voodoo3 on 164LX with XFree 3.3.6

Hi,

I've got a 164LX mb with a 533Mhz 21164a-cpu and 128mb ram.
I built this system myself and equipped it with a Voodoo3 2000 PCI because I
found no other PCI-graphics card that works on Alpha.

I did my first steps in Alphalinux in 80x25 because I had only an old
13"(or less)-monitor and Debian 2.1 which contains only XFree86 3.3.2.
A week ago I bought a 19" monitor and downloaded the sources of XFree 3.3.6
to get X running on my alpha.
To compile deb-packages out of the xfree-sources I also had to update perl,
ncurses, tcl and tk which produced some problems and took 2-3 days but
finally I was able to compile it.
The build-configuration of xfree seems not to like alpha-users because it
only includes the mga and s3-drivers in XF86_SVGA on the alpha-architecture
but I got it to compile a binary with the Voodoo3-driver (called tdfx).

I configured X with xf86config but when I do a 'startx' the screen gets
white and nothing else happens. When I kill the xserver with
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace the screen gets black and shows no text but I can login
as root and do a reboot. The screen-output comes back when milo
(re-)initializes the graphics card.

The text-output of the Xserver looks nice. I tee-ed it to a file to look
through it after the reboots and attached it because I may have overlooked
sth.

Could my problem be related to a hardware defect or do I need a newer version
of XFree86 to get it to work properly on Alpha ??

Thanks for any advice,
Marius Hillenbrand (a proud alpha-newbie ;-))