Not possible to compile kernel with woody

Hi,

I recently (about a week) upgraded my old Alphastation 200 to woody from
potato. All went fine and everything seems to be working (the machine is
acting mail and webserver, among other things). However, trying to run
"make {,old,x,menu}config" in newly distributed (non-patched) kernels (I
tried 2.2.15 and 2.3.99pre8) fails with a segfault. See below. Does
anyone know why this is and what to do to work around it? Compiling
other things, like roxen, works fine. It looks to me like a bug in make
or so, but it weirds me out that it only affects kernels...

jb@beta:~ % tar zxf exclude/linux-2.2.15.tar.gz
jb@beta:~ % cp /boot/config-2.2.15 linux/.config
jb@beta:~ % cd linux
jb@beta:~/linux % make oldconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-alpha asm)
/bin/sh scripts/Configure -d arch/alpha/config.in
#
# Using defaults found in .config
#
*
* Code maturity level options
*
Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
(CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL) [Y/n                            /?]
*
* Loadable module support
*
Enable loadable module support (CONFIG_MODULES) [Y/n/?]
Set version information on all symbols for modules (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
[Y/n/?]
Kernel module loader (CONFIG_KMOD) [Y/n/?]
*
* General setup
*
Alpha system type (Generic, Alcor/Alpha-XLT, Alpha-XL, AlphaBook1,
Avanti, Cabri                            olet, DP264, EB164, EB64+,
EB66, EB66+, Eiger, Jensen, LX164, Miata, Mikasa, Nau
       tilus, Noname, Noritake, PC164, Platform2000, Rawhide, Ruffian,
RX164, SX164, Sa                            ble, Takara) [Avanti]
make: *** [oldconfig] Segmentation fault
jb@beta:~/linux % dpkg -s gcc
Package: gcc
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 3152
Maintainer: Debian GCC maintainers <gcc@packages.debian.org>
Source: gcc (2.95.2-10)
Version: 1:2.95.2-10
Replaces: gcc-ss (<< 1:2.95.3)
Provides: c-compiler
Depends: libc6.1 (>= 2.1.2-1), cpp (>= 1:2.95.2-10), cpp (<< 1:2.95.3),
binutils (>= 2.9.5.0.12)
Recommends: libc-dev
Suggests: gcc-doc (>= 1:2.95.2-10)
Conflicts: libc5-dev
 This is the GNU C compiler, a fairly portable optimizing compiler which
 supports multiple languages.  This package includes support for C, C++,
 and Objective C.

jb@beta:~ % dpkg -s make
Package: make
 GNU Make is a program that determines which pieces of a large
 program need to be recompiled and issues the commands to recompile
 them, when necessary. More information about GNU Make can be
 found in the `make' Info page.

--
Jakob Borg  <jb@replicant.nu>  http://jb.replicant.nu