Re: aboot question

> On May 12, Othmar Pasteka scratched in indelible ink :

> when i alter /etc/aboot.conf do i need to rerun any programs or
> can i just reboot and the changes will take effect? i doubt my
> latter assumption but i am not certain which program i have to
> rerun in order that aboot.conf is reread.

you just need to reboot.  aboot reads the /etc/aboot.conf when booting.

> further more, it's my first time that i compile an alpha kernel.
> i am used to x86 kernels. do i have to pay attention to something
> else when i boot a new alpha kernel or is it more or less the
> same way as it is with the x86 kernels (besides aboot)?

just type make boot to create the kernel image.  it then ends up in
$src/archa/alpha/boot

copy it to / or /boot create, entry in /etc/aboot.conf and reference that
option line with the srm console flags.
eg:
>>>boot dka100 -fl 3
to boot from scsi ID #1 with aboot option number 3.

/Jp.
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere		||   Student of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au 	||   Thaumaturgy