Re: More issues with the lsparc 64 bit stuff vs. other 64 bit archs in ldconfig/ld.so

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> sparc has seperate dynamic loaders for 32 and 64 bit code. AFAIK, you
> can't load 64bit from a 32bit program, atleast not on sparc. Which is why
> we have gotten Wichert to use objdump (and hopefully soon I can convert
> him to readelf) in order to get library deps for dpkg-shlibdeps.

Ah, I didn't know that.

> #define ELFCLASS32      1               /* 32-bit objects */
> #define ELFCLASS64      2               /* 64-bit objects */

As we discussed on IRC, these constants don't have anything to do with
what's in ld.so.cache.  (Just wanted to repeat that for the record :-)

> Is this even used? Did you check that Joel was actually applying the patch
> in the rules file? I know he has some stubs for 64bit sparc, but none of

It's certainly not applied on Alpha ... no idea about for Sparc.

> I haven't looked at what is done for alpha, powerpc, or ia64, but I don't
> see anything that is specific to sparc in the way it handles 32/64 bit
> hybrid caches in glibc 2.2 CVS.

Yeah.  My feeling is that the bug isn't really in ldconfig but rather
in the dynamic loader, which should ignore the 32/64 bit flags on
Alpha.

Of course those flags (as they pertain to ld.so.cache) should actually
be well-defined first, which they currently aren't as of ld.so 1.9.11
and glibc 2.1.3.  But from what you said on IRC it seems that they
will be in glibc 2.2, once ldconfig has been moved into the glibc
source.

Cheers (and please correct me if I'm wrong)

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior GNU/Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile