Re: srm netboot

"Dave Musser" <dmusser@donet.com> writes:

> 3. enabled bootpd and tcpd in the inetd.conf

Did you enable tftpd?  Also, did you make sure tftpd is set up to
serve files from /tftpboot?  I have:

tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /tftpboot

in my /etc/inetd.conf.

> 7. typed the following at the SRM prompt on the multia
>
> and I get :
> (boot ewa0.0.0.8.0 -flags root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.130)
>
> tyring BOOTP boot.
>
> Broadcasting BOOTP request...
> .file open failed for bootp/ewa0.0.0.8.0
> bootstrap failure
> retrying...

What does 'show ewa0*' say at this point?  If BOOTP succeeded, then
you should see your IP configuration in the console environment
variables.

I suspect it may be a problem with TFTP...

> on the nfs server .. a tail of /var/log/messages tells me that in.bootpd has been called and is running
>
> a ps -ax tells me that in.bootpd is running

You may also want to try ISC dhcpd, I find it works a lot better than
the old bootpd.  Just add "allow bootp;" to your subnet block in
dhcpd.conf.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile