Re: Bad Debian/Alpha potato rescue floppy image?

PinkFreud <sauron@eriador.mirkwood.net> writes:

> Hrm.  Not sure, offhand.  This disk was downloaded from the images-1.44
> directory under potato/, probably ~ 3/24.

Ah okay, that was one of my builds then.  Those MILO disks were
actually 720k images, that might have been the problem :)

It wastes too much space to make them all 1.44 meg images, so with
2.2.9 there will just be loose MILO and LINLOAD.EXE binaries and
you'll have to assemble your own disk (all you have to do is make a
DOS floppy and put the two files on it, so...)

> Also, there appears to be another bug in MILO where it can't read ext2
> filesystems with 4k blocks.  Unfortunately, mke2fs seems to create ext2
> filesystems >512 megs with 4k blocks, by default.

Yeah.  The Debian installer for potato will now ask you if you want to
make 2.0 compatible filesystems.

aboot supports filesystems with 4k blocks, and its filesystem code is
closely related to MILO's ... it shouldn't be hard to port the patch
back to MILO, the problem is that building MILO is such an ordeal that
only a few brave people (hi Nikita :) do it.

> While this would be best fixed in MILO, where the problem lies, would it
> at least be possible to implement a workaround in the installation
> program?  I had to jump to a shell and create a filesystem
> manually.

Yup, already done :) Actually the option was there before, it was just
hidden (you had to pass the "verbose" option on the kernel command line)

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile