Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de (Christian Meder) writes:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 11:41:43AM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:19:44AM +0100, Christian Meder wrote:
> > I've Cc:'ed him - the code that I've got so far is in
> > utilities/dbootstrap/bootconfig.c, utilities/dbootstrap/partition_config.c,
> > and utilities/dbootstrap/main.c (where the SRM/MILO detection should go -
> > it's not there yet, and just defaults to SRM :)
>
> Cool. Nikita suggested to look in the /proc/cpuinfo entries to detect
> MILO.

Yup, this is in CVS now.  It seems to work pretty well (there is a lot
of non-alpha related brokenness in the current boot-floppies, some of
it my fault :), which is why I haven't announced the build I did).
One more thing that needs to go in is that, before partitioning an SRM
box, we should ask the user if they want to run sdisklabel to wipe out
the existing OSF disklabel or MS-DOG partition table.  Linux fdisk
does really strange things (yes, this is a bug) when it sees an
existing OSF/1 label on a disk, so they need to be wiped out before
running fdisk.

Actually we will have patches to fix fdisk somewhat in the near future
(it can start up in BSD mode, zero out the label, etc).  Also my
patches to aboot should be available soon too.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 tel