Re: what set of bootfloppys for alphaserver 1200?

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> The documentation does not mention much of ANYTHING that's helpful to Alpha
> users.  Many, many people have asked for help on this list who wouldn't have had

Unfortunately all Alpha documentation is in a similar state.  But ours
is particularly bad, agreed.

> So, WHERE is the current Potato documentation, and HOW can one contribute?  I
> sent a patch for the slink documentation months ago which seems to have vanished
> into thin air.

If you are a developer:

export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -d :ext:<your user name>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot checkout boot-floppies

Otherwise,

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot login
<hit return at the prompt>
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot checkout boot-floppies

Subscribe to the debian-boot list, send patches there too if you don't
have write access (all developers have write access).

> It's frustrating to see some of the same questions come up over and over again,
> to try to do something about it, and to be ignored.  In spite of all the work
> being put into boot floppies, if there are bad docs, it really gives the
> impression that Debian doesn't care at all about new Alpha users.

I've been working on them a bit.  Don't worry, we won't forget about
documentation (although my goal is to make the process of installing
on an Alpha self-documenting to some extent).  Your contributions are
certainly welcome :)