RE: New (unofficial) alpha Alpha (sic) boot-floppies

I tried the milo for eb164, and the screen became all messed up once milo
started in the same way Nikita's milo did.

>From a previous email on this issue, Nikita made the following comment:

Must be the new VGA initialisation code - c5.1 was built with the non-free
Digital x86 emulator, while 991007 switched to doing it messing with
registers directly.  This is faster, the code is smaller, and might
eventually work on cards with very weird BIOSes where the emulator fails.
Apparently it's not as reliable as the emulator, so we should switch back,
which is a pity.

I shall see if I can build the new (c7b) MILO with the emulator - the
2.0.35 MILO/kernel code has been having troubles with the new toolchain
lately.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Meder [mailto:meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de]
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2000 12:12 AM
To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject: New (unofficial) alpha Alpha (sic) boot-floppies

Hi,

I put up a new set of alpha quality Alpha boot-floppies at
http://koenig.isr.uni-stuttgart.de/debian

Changes:

* use 2.2.14 kernels
* use the new Milos
* based on pre2.2.7 boot-floppies code

Unfortunately I hadn't got time to test them. Your mileage may vary.

This is the stuff which is merged in the current CVS tree.

I'd appreciate testing reports, especially wrt the 2.2.14 kernels and the
new
Milos which should fix some problems.

I'll be away for a week and hope to do an official beta upload in about one
and a half weeks (if David isn't doing an upload before).

Greetings,

				Christian