Re: Tried to install Mozilla but broke slink instead.

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 03:34:58PM +1100, David Hocking wrote:
> I'm new to Debian and alphas, but have Slink running on a DEC Multia and
> have successfully compiled a 2.2.14 kernel.
>
> I desparately need a working web browser and a decent word processor or else
> i will have to get rid of Linux / Multia and get something i'm more familiar
> with as i'm pushed for time.

Get the latest netscape provided by Compaq. See their website for more
information. Alien the rpm 'alien -c -d -k netscape_4.7-2.rpm' and 'cd /'
and install 'dpkg -i netscape_4.7-2.deb' as user root. This works for me...

[snip]
> So now when i boot up it goes through the usual stuff untill it says
> "starting x display manager". It then shows the text login prompt briefly
> (less than a second)  before the screen goes blank.

Remove mozilla. The removed packages does not appear to me the problem why X
is behaving strangely. Maybe someone else knows what's wrong?!?

[snip installed and removed packages]

> Is there some way of fixing my system without reinstalling everything.

Yes, there is. If you have apt, and you can install the removed packages if
needed. Run 'apt-get install <package>' to install the missing package. Maybe
some newly installed package prevents you from installing it though (ncurses
comes to mind).

> Like i said, I just would like to have a working system with a decent web
> browser and word processor.

There is abiword if you prefer a Word-like editor. There is also vim, vi and
similar ones and emacs with variations...

B.

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------