Re: Slink kernel compilation - SUCCESS!

To debian-alpha@lists.debian.org...

Thank you all very much for the excellent info!!

I've successfully built my first kernel on Debian
Alpha! :)  Editing the top-level Makefile was all that
was required...

Now I'm confident enough to dispense with MILO + ARC
(which is thoroughly confusing firmware) and reinstall
with SRM + aboot :)

A few questions remain:

1.  Upon install (after building the BSD disklabel and
rebooting), will the default kernel recognize the
slices after partitioning?

2.  I'm more familiar with BSD disk partitioning than
the DOS disklabels, but I'm not quite so sure how the
BSD slices correlate to the Linux slices.  Is
/dev/sda1 = a, /dev/sda2 = b, /dev/sda3 = d, etc.?  Is
it advisable to put swap on slice b (I normally do
this with DU / NetBSD).  The SRM HOW-TO isn't quite so
clear on this...

3.  My console is filling up with 'unaligned trap' and
kernel option defeats this output to the console?

As an aside, it's funny that the day I successfully
built a Linux kernel on Alpha is the day that Gates
resigns as CEO; the day that Compaq dropped Win32 on
Alpha is the day that my supervisor approved my
proposal to install Linux and Tru64 over NT on our
production Alphas.  Coincidence? ;-)

Thanks again!

Rob Parnell