Re: Fast Ethernet

Steve Hiller (sxh7322@ritvax.isc.rit.edu) wrote:

> Hey all,

hello

> 	I have a miata and am trying to get a 100mbit NIC to work with it. I
> bought a cheap Linksys card that is supposed to work with the tulip module
> but I had no luck. Can anyone tell me if they have had any luck with
> various fast ethernet cards? Or does anyone know a reason why the tulip
> module might not install? when I run modconf I just get that the device is
> busy...that generic error message when a module can't install

I've had various sucess/failures with linksys cards. AFAICT they use
three different chips; one that is a true 21143, one that is a
compatible clone (with the latest tulip drivers), and one that I never
could get to work. I don't remember off the top of my head which chip is
the one that doesn't work..

Does the kernel even see it? What kernel version are you running? If
it's a 2.2 or later, try doing a 'lspci' and see if it's listed.

You could also try building tulip as part of the kernel and not as a
module. I remember one of them didn't like being a module. Another
thought is trying a different PCI slot, perhaps it doesn't like the one
it is in?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

HTH,
Ron
--
Email: <mailto:rbf@farrer.net>, <mailto:rbf@debian.org>