Re: New XF 4.0.1-3 debs available

"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org> writes:

> I managed to get the new X debs to build and package with a minimum of
> manual intervention, thanks to some pre-emptive patching on my part :-)
> I've uploaded them to the same place (http://people.debian.org/~chris), so
> if someone/everyone running woody can test them out, I'd greatly
> appreciate it.

I've tried it, and noticed several things:

The xdm chews up 1 minute of CPU time on startup, and then fails,
because it can't load libXdmGreet.so.1. Unfortunately I don't have the
exact message anymore since I downgraded to 3.3.6 xdm and xdm.log gets
overwritten on each xdm start :( The 1 minute delay was there in -1, I
straced it and I think it was reading huge amounts of data from
/dev/urandom. The libXdmGreet problem wasn't there in -1.

Then I tried the xserver-xfree86 server, and it also changed it's
behaviour compared to -1: it didn't just segfault and reset the video
bios, but blanked the screen and killed the kernel completely (no
ping) :-( Fortunately, the fsck failed, so I could remove it before
xdm came up :-)

Also I noticed that when downgrading xbase-clients, my config files
like Xmodmap get nuked. Is this a general dpkg problem or a bug in
xbase-clients?

	Falk