Re: compiling

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> > What is the difference between ld and ldd (I read that ldd is the
> > dynamic linker, but why are two linkers necessary?)
>
> I think you're thinking of ld-linux.so (dynamic
> linker). Basically, it handles, in simple terms, runtime linking

I am referring to /usr/bin/ldd, it did not have manpages. I was
confused, because there is as well a /usr/bin/ld.

> > What does this error message mean (what is this linker script file?):
>
> Linker scripts basically describe how to perform the linking process to
> ld.  Here's another quote from the ld docs:

I found the error, I had a typo in the Makefile linker line.

> If ld is claiming that it can't find the script, you may want to
> check /usr/lib/ldscripts to see if you can find the script name somewhere
> in there.  The default binutils installation on Alpha should have
> these files in /usr/lib/ldscripts:
> alpha.x
> alpha.xn
> alpha.xu
> elf64alpha.xbn
> elf64alpha.xr
> elf64alpha.xu
> alpha.xbn
> alpha.xr
> elf64alpha.x
> elf64alpha.xn
> elf64alpha.xs

Fortunately everything is in place!

> If you have any more questions about binutils, let me know (I'm the
> binutils maintainer for Debian, fyi, and have been working on the Alpha
> port for years now).

Thank you for your help. As soon as something struggles me or makes me
curious, I will pester you with it! ;-)

BTW, what is the meaning of this -taso thing? Why is it necessary to
reorient a binary to a 32 bit space?

But as you see, before trying to set up a cross compiler, I should first
learn more about a standard compiler on a system.

Regards,

Kerstin

--

	kerstin.hoef-emden@uni-koeln.de