Re: Debian on XP900?

Hi,

[...mime stuff removed...]

> Hi,
> I'm a Debian user, I wish to buy a RISC machine (now I use an Intel
> P200).
> I know this is almost OT
> But I'm not able to find an alpha reseller on the net!
> Can anyone give me an hint on a good and cheap alpha?
> XP900 is supported by Debian, isn't it?
> Does anybody know its price, or tell to me if it is a good machine?
> How is Debian alpha port?
> And its TRU64 Unix system?

You might also consider API's UP1000/UP1100 Mainboards. They are based around
AMD's Irongate chipset ( aka 750 ) and offer 600+MHz 21264 CPU's. The UP1000
"eats" Slot-modules, the UP1100 takes the chip directly.
AFAIK, systems with these boards should be cheap, since the boards themselves
are - considered in "Alpha-price terms".
They don't give you memory in excess of 768Mbytes, i think, and they definitely lack
64bit PCI support.
Technically, I would consider an XP900 superior, but again, at a price.

Also, a Compaq DS10 might be an option, they are quite good *and* cheap.

I run a dual UP2000 mainboard, which is similar to a DS20, technically. It has it's
price tag, but it is a terrific system.

Check www.alpha-processor.com for details.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with API, aside of being a very satisfied customer.

As always, YMMV ;-)

> Thanks!!!
>
> Alex

Regards,