Re: Single User Mode?

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:01:18PM +0100, Iain Johnstone wrote:

> The machine is a Noritake DEC 1000A 5/400 RM.

So, EV56 CPU, CIA core logic.

> SRM was fine with the Voodoo. Initially I had problems with GUI install of
> Debian but then booted up with "text". The installation went well after
> that.
>
> However no matter how many different permutations in XF86config I used the
> screen died.
>
> I switched back to the Number Nine card that came with the machine and
> everything worked well (as well as gnome can be with a 1mb card).

As I said before, there are some known problems on certain EV5/EV56
machines with particular XFree86 4.0.x servers. And I think it may
have been only 3.3.6 that had working Voodoo support on Alpha, but I
could be wrong.

> Where do I get the ** LATEST ** bios? I managed to find and install 5.7 but
> nothing newer.

This won't solve the problem, as you already have an SRM BIOS emulator
that is happy with the Voodoo, so don't bother looking. Version 5.8 is
out on gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/, but some of the older
boxes may not actually be updated beyond an older version. I'm not sure
what category 1000A falls into...

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com