Re: IDE Drives on UP2000 ?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, T. Weyergraf wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am considering the use of a pair of IDE Harddrives in my UP2000, despite my strong
> dislike of IDE in general 8-)
> These won't be holding very busy filesystems, they will primarily be used as "data-graves",
> like archives and the like.
> Here are my questions:
>
> - Are there any funny limits in size/cylinders/whatever, that could prevent the usage of
>    *really* big drives like IBM's 75Gig part ? For cost/size effectiveness, I rather tend towards
>     40-60Gigs.

You should be fine with the large drives.

> - Are (U)DMA modes supported on Alpha ? I really do not want to waste CPU-cycles
>    processing loads of interrupts in PIO mode.

Provided the chipset supports it yes.

> - Are the IDE channels of the build-in Contaq 82c693 capable of handling a
>    master/slave pair *each* or is the total max two drives ?

Well, the Contaq device has 2 IDE controllers, however if you look at the
board you'll see that only one has been brought to a connector. So in
effect you're limited to 2 devices.

> - Any general recommendations about which drives *not* to use ?
>
> While asking funny questions anyway, here are two more not related to the above topic:
>
> - Anybody ever tried using USB on the UP2000 ?

Ummmm....I think I got it to see the controller, but that was a while
ago. I do have it working on a UP1000 so the codes seems to work on
Alpha. It's just a question of if the works properly with the Contaq
controller.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne