Re: Problems w/ different platforms?

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Qin Tao wrote:

> Did anybody have problems caused by platform differences? For example,
> did you ever compile and run a program on one linux distribution w/o
> problems while have troubles to deal with the same program on another
> distribution?

Hmmm...are you talking architecture differences or distribution
differences?  I've had trouble with both, but not necessarily at the same
time.  What problems are you having (specifically)?  This request is a bit
too vague, IMO.

> If so, could you please let me know what is your problem
> and how you solved it? Does anybody have any experience to avoid the effects
> on compiling and runing programs from different platforms ?

I've had tons of experience porting things to 64-bit platforms, as well as
porting things to Linux itself (regardless of architecture).  Each
distribution has it's own nuances and quirks, most of which can be easily
gotten around (since most are just differences in file locations).

> Any response to the above topics will be greatly appreciated!! Your rich
> experience is a huge help to me.

Hehehehe...experience is something I have tons of (as do most of the
people on this list...working on Alphas frequently involves recompiling
things and/or patching them so that they will work properly...most of the
world seems to be 32-bit-centric).