Re: Where do these files go?

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Qin Tao wrote:

> I would like to know what files are included in the package with an
> extension of ".deb". After I install such a package, where do those files
> go? I mean, how can I get a list of the pathes of those installed files? I
> know there is an option "- qpil" for rpm which will print out the files
> with their locations. I am looking for a similar one for Debian.

Once installed, you can do this (example is for binutils, but substitute
package name that you want to know about):
	dpkg -L binutils
And it will print out all of the files that were installed by the package
and their locations.  It will also mention any diversions made by the
package. If the package is not installed, do this:
	dpkg -c binutils_2.10.0.24-2.deb

You may want to pipe the output through a pager, though, since it can be
lengthy for some packages.

> Thanks for your help.

Any time :-)