Re: glibc 2.2 and gcc (Was Re: something completely different)

On 4 Aug 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> I tried to build it, too, and hat a problem with a warning in
> libstdc++-v3 and -Werror not being properly disabled, perhaps you hit
> the same. I tried to patch it, but made a typo and wasted another 3
> hours... This patch should do it, if I didn't make another typo :)

Yes, that was the problem. It's been corrected in the CVS tree already so
I'm trying a newer CVS snapshot.  So far, it built just fine, now I'm
running the testsuite (ugh).

> I am also concerned that 128 MB were *barely* enough to compile
> libstdc++-v3, with stopping all daemons and stopping working... This
> is really not good, especially since there are Alphas with even less
> memory out there; I have no idea what to do about it, though...

Well, that won't be a problem for me to build at all (the dual EV6 I have
access to has 1GB RAM) and once it's built, it's built.  Most people won't
want to recompile it themselves and those who do would probably have more
RAM any way (fingers crossed...besides, on my old UDB, which did most of
the work on slink, it took nearly a day to compile gcc anyway).